Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Visionaries

Story continued from A Vision For My Vision

I walked out of Dr. Patel's office overjoyed by the idea that I would be able to help him set up his non-profit.  I called my friend, Amy, who shared in my joy and then explained what she had been doing that very morning.  I'm not privy to the Facebook thread, nor the email, nor other fundraising efforts, but she told me that she had sent out an email at 8:30 a.m. and that in three hours she had received pledges for half the cost of my surgery.  She also explained that the account that had been set up for Murphy the dog has been being used to collect the money.

One-eyed me and my seeing-eye dog, Murphy.

My surgery would have cost more with Dr. Patel's fee, but the remaining facility fee, price of the new lens and anesthesia has since been covered by donations.  I am without words to express my gratitude.  I keep asking God, "Is this OK to take money from people?"  I keep getting told that it is.  I keep praying that God takes every donation, blesses the donor and multiplies it. 

How on Earth someone so unworthy has become the recipient of so much love and generosity, I do not know.  Grace = unmerited favor.  These friends, these visionaries, have taught me more about God's love by loving me.  They are teaching me about pride vs. humility, the difference between "taking" and "receiving", and that it is selfish for me to deny gifts from people because I will then be denying them the blessings they will receive from giving.  These are new concepts for me - totally foreign.  They are teaching me the meaning of "blind faith" - walking face first into the darkness, stepping off the cliff to find a path under my feet.

May God bless the visionaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment